Tuesday 13 February 2018

IELTS Vocabulary: Business

Part 1 - Style questions
Examiner: Do you work or are you student?
Student: I run my own business actually... I have an online business selling cosmetics... I set up the business 5 years ago and I'm into working for myself.

  • to run your own business: tự kinh doanh
  • to set up a business: bắt đầu kinh doanh
  • to work for yourself: làm tư, làm riêng

Examiner: What is your ideal job?
Student: I don't think I would enjoy working for a big company... I think/believe I would like to go it alone and be self-employed... I'm not quite sure what area of business it would be but I think I'd enjoy the process of drawing up a business plan and seeing if I could be successful...

  • to draw up a business plan: lên kế hoạch kinh doanh
  • to be self-employed: tự làm chủ, tự kinh doanh
  • to go it alone: tự kinh doanh
Examiner: Is your town a nice place to live?
Student: It's okay... the main problem we have is our local high street... it used to be a busy centre but lots of shops have gone bust... it must be very difficult to make a profit when you have huge supermarkets in the area and a lot haven't been able to survive with such cut throat competition...
  • to go bust: buộc phải đóng cửa (đi bụi)
  • to make a profit: có lợi nhuận, làm lợi
  • to cut throat competition: cạnh tranh bằng cách giảm giá xuống mức thấp khiến đối thủ cũng phải giảm, đôi khi ở mức không còn lãi.
Part 2 - Style tasks
Describe a business you know that you admire. You should say
what this business is
what the business sells
how long you have known about the business
and say why you like it so much.
Student: Actually I discovered a business very recently that I like so much I'd like to do something similar in the future... it's a small niche business that runs courses in how to cook... especially bread... the owner uses his kitchen for the courses and went into business with a local community shop and sells a lot of the bread and cakes they make in the shop... I first go to hear about the business last year... my wife paid for me to do one of the baking courses and I got to know the owner during the training... it's a lifestyle business really... he doesn't have plans to take on employees or expand into new areas... he's happy earning a living doing the thing he loves... I really admire what he does and I'm sure a lot of people would to do something similar... he has a web presence... in fact that's how we got to find out about his company... and he uses social media to raise the company profile... but he's the only person involved in running the business so he's in complete control of where the business goes... that's something that must make it really satisfying... as long as he's managing to balance the books and the cash flow is healthy I'm sure he must be very pleased with what he has achieved.
  • to go into business with: tham gia kinh doanh cùng
  • niche business: kinh doanh những mặt hàng nhỏ, độc, chỉ có ở một thị trường nhất định
  • lifestyle business: kinh doanh cá thể
  • to take on employees: thuê nhân viên
  • to earn a living: kiếm tiền
  • to have a web presence: có website để giới thiệu sản phẩm
  • cash flow: dòng tiền
  • to raise a company profile: tạo thương hiệu công ty
  • to balance the books: không dùng nhiều tiền hơn số tiền kiếm được
Part 3 - Style questions
Examiner: Why do some people decide to set up their own business?
Student: I suppose it's the idea of being in control of your own destiny... or of believing in a product or service idea you may have... plus it must be very exciting... launching products... winning contracts... and seeing your sales figures improving must be wonderful.
  • to win a contract: giành được hợp đồng
  • to launch a product: giới thiệu sản phẩm mới
  • sales figures: báo cáo doanh số
Examiner: What are some of the dangers involved in starting a business?
Student: Well... obviously you need to have a good idea... some people say you need to do market research beforehand so you know what the market wants... if you don't do this you could go under... and if it is a good idea the chances are someone else is doing the same thing so you could end up facing stiff competition...
  • to go under: buộc phải đóng cửa
  • to do market research: làm nghiên cứu thị trường
  • stiff competition: đối thủ mạnh
Examiner: What are some of things you have to do when running your own business that might not appeal to everyone?
Student: Personally I don't like being in debt so taking out a business loan wouldn't suit me at all... and I know a lot of companies do cold calling to try and drum up business... that's something I would hate to do... and laying people off if the business gets in trouble... that would be horrible.
  • to take out a loan: vay tiền
  • to lay someone off: cho thôi việc
  • to cold call: cuộc gọi bán hàng không được báo trước
  • to drum up business: câu khách

No comments :