Sunday 28 August 2016

the ball is in your court

Meaning

  • used for telling someone that it is their responsibility to take action or make a decision.
  • It is up to you to make the next move.
  • to be someone else's move, play, or turn.
  • you need to react or answer.
  • If the ball is in someone's court, they have to do something before any progress can be made in a situation.
  • It's your turn now.
  • It's your responsibility now; it's up to you.
  • it is time for someone to deal with a problem or make a decision, because other people have already done as much as they can. (From Cambridge Dictionary)
Image courtesy of American English at State
This term comes from tennis, where it means it is the opponent's turn to serve or return the ball, and has been transferred to other activities.

Examples

  1. I’ve done my bit. The ball’s in his court now.
  2. I've done all I can; now the ball's in your court.
  3. We have made a reasonable offer for the house, and now the ball is in their court.
  4. I've told him he can have his job back if he apologises. The ball's in his court now.
  5. It’s not Daniel’s fault the deal isn’t finished, he made the last offer. The ball is in Harry’s court now.”
  6. I've helped him in every way I can – the ball's in his court now.

No comments :