occupyThere are several forms of this word: occupy, occupation, occupational, occupant, occupancy, occupied and occupying. The verb occupy has a range of meanings and can be used to write about work and accommodation - two of the most important topics in IELTS.
The following are some common combinations of these forms.
The picture shows the list of synonym words of the verb occupy:
- Unfortunately, comparatively few women occupy positions of power in major corporations.
- One reason children misbehave is that they are not kept occupied and they become bored.
- There are many ways to occupy the minds of young children provided you have a little creativity.
- Many school leavers end up in unskilled occupations because they received no vocational training at school. With better training they could have found jobs in skilled occupations.
- Injury is an occupational hazard of the professional athlete and they deserve higher incomes as their career may be cut short.
- The growth of factory farms has made many people that were engaged in rural occupations redundant.
- It is just as important to fund the treatment provided by occupational therapists as they are instrumental in helping patients to recover.
- While many new office blocks have been built, occupancy rates in them remain low due to the financial climate.
- The group planned to occupy foreclosed homes, disrupt bank auctions, and block evictions.