Monday 7 March 2016

Daily trip from the countryside to the city


Like millions of people all over the worlds, five days a week I commute that means I make a regular journey from home to my office in the big city. Maybe you do too? It's something that we have to learn to live with, if we want to go to work and earn some money.
My commute start here - when it's not snowing.
The words " commute" comes from the early days in the US cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia back in the 1840s. As the railways developed, people went to live outside cities and when they travelled into the city to work, they paid a cheaper or commute fare ( the money that we pay to travel on bus, taxi, train...)
Now, the daily commute can be on foot, by bike, by car or like me - on the train. I live about 20 miles outsides London, that's just over 32 kilometres, I have 1 mile walk to the station, a 50 minutes rail ride to the city and another 1 mile bike ride to the office. I spend a lot of my day travelling. So why do I do it?
well, firstly, living in central London and near the office is too expensive for me. And do I really want to live next door to work anyway? Secondly, I decide to move out of London to live outside that I believe it's good for family life. Commuting was difficult at first, but seven years later, I quite like it- it can be relaxing! On my twice - daily train journey, I usually read newspaper. I often listen to the radio and I have sometime a little sleep.
My train to work
These days, I suppose I'm typical ( usually, normal) commuter. I often catch the same time train and I always stand in the exact same place on the platform ( the place where stand when you're waiting for a train).  I want to change my habits. And my aim to try and cycle 20 miles to work to save money and keep fit. The problem is I can never decide when to start.
These days, many companies prefer people to work at home. It saves office space and worker usually like it, they don't waste time commuting to and from the office. The only problem is that people sometime miss the friendship of their work colleagues ( the people who work with you). Is this something you do and enjoy?
Inside a busy commute train
Another benefit of home working is that reduces the overcrowding on public transport. During the rush hour in London, many commute are full because everyone is traveling at work at the same time. Luckily for me, I always get a seat on my train.
anyway, for now, commuting is here to stay. As my train speeds towards London, it's good to know that millions of people around the worlds are doing same thing.
More vocabulary:
- extreme commuters: people who spend a long time travelling to work.
- income: money you receive usually for working
- stressful: making you  feel worried or nervous
- life style choice: a choice about how you live
- following: next, following day is next day
- productively: successfully, usefully 

No comments :